November 15, 2012

NaNoWriMo Writing Tip of the Week: #3



Motivation

Studies show that negative comments can be an very powerful motivational tool. Someone says, "You can't do that," but instead of puffing your chest up and telling them off, you shrug a little and mumble, "Sure I can."

Then maybe I laugh and say, "Are you kidding? Eight tracks are more valuable than you are - at least they might be worth something to some wealthy, aging hipsters someday after enough time has passed. You should probably just take up a hobby, like flipping coins - even you have to win at that sometimes. But don't try writing anymore. You can't do it."

You square your shoulders and give me a hurt look. "I can, too."

"Not if I take your pencil. And throw your laptop in the tub." And then I scamper off to do just that.

"Are these your underthings hanging over the shower door?" I call from the bathroom. "They're looking pretty ratty. You shouldn't wear these anymore."

"Oh, that is just about enou--"

"My God, what size do you wear?!"

By this point you're pretty mad, and hurt. You'd do anything to prove me wrong. In fact, you'll do whatever it takes to show me that you can do whatever the hell you want, no matter what I say.

See how well that worked?

No comments:

Post a Comment