January 19, 2013

Willpower

Last night I made a lasagna: beautiful, rich sauce, a double layer of noodles, whole-fat ricotta with herbs and Parmesan mixed in, and about ten pounds of cheese on top of that.

Just as I put it in the oven, I received this text from my best friend:
"This weekend I'm doing a three-day detox cleanse that only lets me eat like . . . veggie soup, smoothies, and raw salads. If I text you for willpower, don't let me stray!"
I glanced into the oven, where the lasagna layers were just starting to meld together and the shaved bits of Parmesan cheese on top were melting into a bubbling, gooey mass of cholesterol.

"You can have all of my willpower if you want," I texted back. "I never use it."

All this indulgence is exhausting.


Images via Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment