September 5, 2012

Prep Time

The most important part of an interview is preparation. Practice a firm handshake. Practice smiling-without-looking-like-a-serial-killer. Practice willing your sweat glands to shut off. All of these are vital skills in the interview process.

Since I have an interview tomorrow morning, I took some time off from today's original schedule, which consisted of watching 30 Rock and eating chips, to prepare so that all I have to worry about during the actual interview is the volume of my voice and whether that musty smell is me. I've also been practicing not laughing so much during everyday conversations. Apparently it comes off a little insane when people ask your name and you let out a long, piercing giggle before saying, "But seriously, Angie, I'm Carrie?"

So in an effort to make myself a little more presentable, I went to the mall this afternoon to buy a reasonably-priced blazer and some neutral heels that weren't stained with punch circa Winter Formal '07. My fancy pants are all hemmed, and I plan to iron AND lint roll them tonight. I also looked up the most common interview questions on a career website so I could think up some articulate responses in advance. For example:

  • Why do you want to work at this company?
    • Red Robin isn't hiring right now.
    • My agency just tells me what to do and I do it. Shall I tell you about my strong leadership skills?
    • I heard you don't give drug tests.
  • What are your weaknesses?
    • "Some people say I'm too nice?"
    • Cheese - melted, grilled, string, block, wedge, wheel, ball, wrapped in puff pastry, or fried on a stick.
    • A good-lookin' man in a suit. Or out of one, if y'know what I mean.
  • Tell me about a time when you...completed a large project/overcame an obstacle/resolved a conflict at work.
    • It was a dark and stormy night. (Wait expectantly for next question.)

Easy peasy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment